The most substantial risk to businesses and a powerful weapon in a competitive environment. Competition and antitrust law is one of the most complex areas of law. Requiring a thorough knowledge of the legal sphere, the economy and domestic and foreign decision-making practices.
We provide advice and assistance in connection with prohibited agreements, abuse of dominant position and merger control regulations under Czech and EU law and represent clients in administrative proceedings conducted by the Czech Competition Office and the European Commission as well as in related court actions, advice and assistance in unfair competition matters, and drafting distribution agreements.
The Vrána & partners team has represented or provided advice in administrative or related court proceedings in relation to practically all significant cases that the Czech Competition Authority has undertaken to date.
Our most noteworthy cases in the area of competition law include the following:
- Representing Benzina, Shell Czech Republic, Lukoil Czech Republic and ConocoPhillips Europe in various administrative and court proceedings relating to an alleged cartel agreement;
- Advising an international finance group in connection with an investigation concerning an alleged cartel agreement conducted by the Czech and Slovak Competition Authorities;
- Advising Delta Pekárny (a major Czech bakery group) in proceedings conducted by the Competition Office concerning an alleged cartel agreement;
- Advising a coal mining company in connection with a complaint to the Competition Office and the European Commission and various administrative and court proceedings in connection with the alleged abuse of dominant position;
- Advising in relation to unlawful state aid before the European Commission.
Our lawyers have had additional experience in the following cases:
- Advising in relation to the alleged abuse of dominant position by the owner of a bus terminal (ČSAD Liberec);
- Advising in relation to the abuse of dominant position during the organisation of a distribution network (Sazka);
- Representing a business network in proceedings relating to a trade alliance (Meinl/Billa);
- Potato cartel – representing a business network in proceedings relating to alleged cartel agreements on potato prices (Julius Meinl);
- Sugar cartel – representing a sugar refinery in proceedings relating to an alleged cartel agreement on the price of sugar (Cukrovary TTD);
- Building societies – representing a prominent building society in proceedings relating to an alleged prohibited agreement or abuse of collective dominance on the building savings market (Českomoravská stavební spořitelna)
- Banks – representing a leading bank in proceedings relating to an alleged prohibited agreement or abuse of collective dominance on the retail banking market;
- GIS – expert advice on an alleged prohibited agreement on the gas insulated switchgear market (Hitachi);
- Advising in relation to the organisation of a distribution network for the manufacturing of automobiles (Renault Trucks, Citroën, Peugeot, Hyundai, BMW);
- Advising in relation to the establishment of a distribution network (Benzina, ČEPRO, Lukoil)
- Advising in relation to the manufacturing of bio-active nutritional supplements in connection with state aid administered by the Czech government (Pharma Nord).